Friday, May 31, 2013

Crazy Rock'n Sushi

Ok, when I happened upon this little sushi spot tucked away in the middle of Hollywood shadowed by a big Best Buy and bigger Target, I didn't think I'd find what would become my favorite absolute sushi restaurant, so I thought nothing of it.  I joked with a friend that the pictures looked good but we both had concerns with seating at new sushi places so we ordered modestly.  The food trickled out of the kitchen quickly and we both soon learned how fresh the sushi was.  First was the sushi pieces; albacore, tuna, seared ahi, whitefish, and salmon.  They were excellent.  Next were the rolls.  I had the rainbow roll because that would let me know right off the bat whether to bother eating there again.  Fresh and amazing.  I almost didn't stick to my usual order of eating.  Yes I am one of those people who eats the best part last...  It was so great I knew I'd be ordering more.  I can't remember what my friend had as I was elbows deep in sushi heaven.  When another friend joined us, we ended up sharing a fried rice cake (deep fried rice topped with spicy tuna, avocado and special glaze - yummy) and some other rolls.  After the last bite we quickly realized that not only did we be have more than a snack, but we were going to orded twice as much food as we had planned.   An hour, several sakes, 1 more friend, 3 full bellies and $100 later, we walked out smiling and in no mood to traipse around Target.  That was the most/best money I've ever spent on sushi, getting exactly what I paid for and then some.  3 hours later I was still full and content shattering the sushi myth.  Nowadays, they have lunch specials, happy hour (which is almost all day), and a larger menu.  Who says you can't make a good thing better?  I still love to go and sit at the bar and order any one of my many favorites thinking that I may have never found this gem if I hadn't stopped in that day for a "snack."  If you're looking for inexpensive, fresh sushi in a cool low-key place, drop in Crazy Rock'n' Sushi and don't let the cheesy name keep you from some excellent sushi and service!

No comments:

Post a Comment