Thursday, September 5, 2013

Deep in the heart of the "other" valley, the San Gabriel Valley, sits a local favorite sandwich shop that makes mouths water just by hearing its name.  Gene's Grinders on Myrtle Avenue in Monrovia, Ca. is that shop.  I've been going there literally since I was a kid, and the freshness of the bread, the perfect proportions of meat to veggies and the lil' cup of heaven that is their freshly made lemonade are just as great as I remember.  I was in high school before I could finish a whole Roast Beef sandwich from the staple, but even now I save half for my next meal to keep the dream alive (sandwiches are just as good the next day).  As I write this, I can smell the fresh lettuce and tomato and the homemade bread they are famous for, (in my head).

All the cold sandwiches are phenomenal but my personal favorite is the Milanesa sandwich (which is steak pounded then breaded and lightly fried).  This sandwich is amazing.  It's the best of comfort food and healthy eats, if you like a lot of lettuce like I do.  It melts in your mouth and makes you wonder what magic was done to the cow that sacrificed itself for your meal.  Another favorite is the Pastrami.  It's made deli style and there's enough pastrami on the thing for 3 more sandwiches.  Juicy and delicious, it'll make you feel like a toddler trying to eat a Big Mac.  There's no way not to make a mess, oh but what a great mess it makes.  There's nothing on the menu that is not amazing, one bite and you'll be hooked too.  The only problem with Gene's Grinders is that there is only 1 and if you live in the city, it can be a looooong drive.  It's so worth it though.  I dare someone to try it and not fall in love. Check it out https://twitter.com/genesgrinders!!

No comments:

Post a Comment